So we feel there is a big gap between how A4 is perceived within the community on one hand and general public including sponsors, potential sponsors, and politicians, and city officials on the other hand. Maybe it is because in Slovakia we feel that there is a certain lack of cultural education. Maybe we are still in a process of transformation from the socialist cultural model into something more based on civic initiatives, on the people. And I believe that this will be the future.
There are many creative people living in this region, and they have to find their platforms for expression. So this will be slowly moving and also pushing the politicians to really get aware of this fact that there is something that emerges bottom-up and it needs and it will get some support in the future.
A4 has had several problems in communication and relationship with the official institutions whether on the state level or on the city level where there was no support for independent activities. And most of the time I felt that there is the need of really restructuring the understanding and support of the non-profit initiatives that are not established by the official institutions.
So in 2012 we suddenly had to leave our space in the state building in the city center. And in about 3 weeks we had to move to a new location. So that was one step. Luckily enough in fall 2012 the same year we found the new space that was offered by foundation Intenda that kind of felt that this kind of activities and an independent artistic activities would be appropriate for their building. So in very short time in October we had to move our stuff and to really rebuild, renovate the old space in former YMCA building, to build new bar, new performance space. So we were quite proud that we managed to get this new space in good shape in about two weeks with help of lot of volunteers of course.
- Social integration of Graz
- Investment into culture is investment into people
- Social dimensions of the Graz 2003
- Social impacts of Liverpool 2008
- Impacts on Rotterdam’s deprived south
- Metelkova autonomous centre and the community
- Our main contribution is inspiring people
- Forming good image of Hämeenlinna
- Our children are growing up together with the city
- Success Story from Russia
- We work with local people
- Independent culture has got its place in society
- Where is the attention to human being?
- What does it mean to be sustainable?
- ufaFabrik works for the neighbourhood
- We preserve buildings
- What is the value of community of A4?