In the 1970 the theater group looking for a location for their theatre play found this empty building. They did not squat it actually. They really got the key from the mayor to do something here. And they immediately found out this is a place where you can do more things than just a theater play. So they started to more or less rebuild part of it. It was derelict at the time. They also succeeded in not only doing theater but also music and what was very hot at the time a video.
And the interesting thing is that in 1970 Amsterdam was really the magic centre of the world for young hippies of the. Young people were flooding into Amsterdam. So the city of Amsterdam was actually quite happy with the place like Melkweg where the things were organized for all these young people who were coming to Amsterdam. And already from the beginning although at the time it was only a project that took place in summer we specialized in rock, pop music and in theatre, contemporary dance. We had exhibitions. We showed films and video. And that has been the case ever since so we are doing this already over 40 years.
- Story of Watershed in Bristol
- Story of Creative Factory in Rotterdam
- Story of Pekarna in Maribor
- Story of Metelkova mesto in Ljubljana
- Interzona - cultural association in Verona
- A38 as a multicultural meeting point
- Creativity Zentrum in Bilbao
- What is The Cable Factory?
- Setting up Suvilahti
- Story of Village Underground
- Story of Melkweg
- How to set up a cultural centre?
- Story of ufaFabrik
- Who is Ragnar Siil?
- Story of Meet Factory
- What is Haushalten?
- What is Aparaaditehas?
- Setting up Aparaaditehas
- Story of NOASS
- Halle14 started with the conference
- Story of Arts Printing House
- Story of Uzupis Art Incubator
- What is A4?